I could not help but shed a few tears, but these tears were different from the hundreds I have shed all day. These tears were full of joy, happiness, and love. This one freshman girl, who I barely know, made me feel loved, heard, and reminded me that I belong and that I matter. She took time out of her day to realize I was not at school, and it wasn't because she didn't see the black girl with the grey braids. She felt my presence missing, and then she went even further to contact me. I will cherish this message forever.
She has a gift, and it is not a gift for herself, but to those around her. She picks up on the little things and does something about them. Screw the idea that role models are always older. I am the senior here, and this freshman just inspired me to the maximum amount. If she keeps this up she will be moving mountains!
Thank you for reminding me that I matter and am more than just the black girl with colorful braids, because today I woke up and felt the complete opposite. Thank you for realizing I was absent, and even more importantly, taking time out your day to reach out. You are a true gift to this world and we need more people like you. I maybe the upperclassman that is suppose to mentor you, but you completely inspired and took care of me tonight. Thank you for reminding me that I have a responsibility and so much more to fight for than myself. I matter, and so do you!
From THAT girl who was inspired,
- T
Xx

No comments:
Post a Comment